- Sensei Wendy Egyoku Nakao
Yoga Therapy is a complementary healing modality that can be incredibly supportive for individuals undergoing treatment for cancer. An individualized therapeutic yoga practice offers many tools to help manage the physical, physiological, and psychological impacts of a cancer diagnosis and treatment. There is growing evidence to support the use of yoga as a supportive practice during and after cancer treatment.
Yoga Therapy can help with:
- anxiety around diagnosis and fear due to risk of recurrence
- preparing for, or recovering from cancer related surgeries and procedures
- managing fatigue related to chemotherapy and radiation
- hormone therapy side effects such as insomnia, hot flashes, and fatigue
- socio-emotional challenges related to navigating cancer treatment and its side effects
- diet and lifestyle modifications to minimize side effects
In 2022 I was given the opportunity to put theory into practice when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The rituals and skills I was learning throughout my Yoga Therapist training absolutely made all the difference as I underwent surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. Yoga continues to be the most vital supportive practice as I navigate hormone therapy and life after active treatment.
I consider it a great privilege to work with others diagnosed with cancer. In addition to offering cancer care one-on-one, I am also a program leader at the Sunnybrook location of Wellspring Cancer Support Foundation in Toronto, running multiple weekly yoga classes for their members.
If you would like to learn more about therapuetic yoga for cancer support, please reach out below.
Please reach out if you would like to connect to learn more about my services or book a session.
Julia Ayearst (she/her)
Certified Yoga Teacher (300hr)
Qualifying Yoga Therapist (1000hr Expected Spring 2023)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada